How to make an awning on a PVC boat with your own hands?
To find an awning that exactly matches the dimensional parameters of a particular boat modification is sometimes almost impossible. Yes, and he has a considerable cost. Therefore, if you decide to get such an attribute of comfortable fishing, the best solution would be to sew an awning on a boat with your own hands, and besides, it is not difficult to implement. It is only necessary to choose a piece of dense water-repellent fabric that is appropriate in size, duralumin, aluminum or polyvinyl chloride tubes for the supporting structure, a strong cord and eyelets (rings for threading ropes, ropes, cables through them).
Regardless of whether the canopy is industrial-made or home-made, he must comply with certain requirements:
- the ability to protect the nose of the swimming means and things from precipitation;
- ensuring the protection of boat passengers from adverse climatic conditions;
- providing an optimal overview for those who operate the craft;
- providing appropriate conditions for fishing while the boat is moving;
- proper protection of the engine of the PVC boat both during the parking period, during transportation, and during movement;
- the design must be as light as possible, not burden the swimming means;
- reliability is another fundamental design requirement in order to protect the branches of overhanging bushes and trees that are in the boat;
- simple installation - as far as possible, all work should be done without much effort and quickly.
At the same time, one should not forget about the quality of the material. If you use low-quality fabric, then with a long trip, it is likely that the canopy will be damaged, and it is also difficult to foresee how events will unfold.
Necessary materials and tools
For the manufacture of the canopy will require the following materials. Moisture-repellent fabric made of durable fiber based on polyamide (nylon) or other material resistant to the influence of adverse meteorological phenomena. PVC fabric is not so comfortable because it does not allow oxygen and is heavier than other types of materials. When using tarpaulin fabric as a material for a canopy on a swimming means it should be covered with waterproofing impregnation.
For viewing in running canopies it is necessary the use of viewing windows. In the format of a windshield, materials based on transparent polyethylene terephthalate (lavsan) or dense cellophane are practiced. A transparent polyvinyl chloride film is not recommended for use with an absolute or greater coating of a swimming medium, since it does not allow oxygen to pass through. You will also need:
- 1 meter rubber cord;
- a cord from kapron with a cross section of 5-6 millimeters;
- eyelets with a diameter of approximately 1 centimeter;
- aluminum blanks for supporting structure (if running canopy is carried out);
- zipper fasteners (if a running transformer tent is created);
- plastic hooks;
- needle for punctures.
To create a canopy, you will need the following tools:
- scissors, synthetic thread with a needle;
- tools and devices for working with aluminum blanks (electric drill, angle grinder, if a running canopy is made).
How to make a wireframe?
Before proceeding with the pattern and tailoring of PVC awning, they are taken for the manufacture of a supporting structure. Usually they create a U-shaped canopy, however, everything may depend on the degree of imagination. The main condition is that the frame is very lightweight and does not overload the swimming facility. Aluminum tubes with a diameter of 15-30 millimeters are endowed with similar properties.
Considering the fact that the tubes need to be bent, it is desirable to give preference to thick-walled options. Tubes with a thin wall can simply break during the work with them. The aluminum frame does not completely reduce the controllability and stability of the boat.
The dimensions of the supporting structure must coincide with the overall parameters of the boat, and the height of the skeleton is determined by the ease of management. It is important that the dead zone is located no further than 6-7 meters.
To bend an aluminum pipe, it makes sense to turn to professionals. They will do it neatly and up to the mark. Moreover, the work will cost quite cheaply.
If this is not possible, then you can carry out the procedure with your own hands, if everything is done correctly, in addition, aluminum is a rather soft metal. In order to implement this process at a good level, it is necessary to fill the tubes with ordinary sand and damp from both edges, for example, with a wooden chop. Then it is possible to take for the process of arching. The main thing is to find a fulcrum. Along with the, areas on which it will be affected, it is advisable to wrap it with an unfit rag. This will protect the tubes from damage.
During bending, it is necessary to watch so that the tube bends measuredly and in one plane. Subsequently, all tubes are bent in proportion to the bend of the first, then all products will have the same configuration. For the first tube, you can make a template from ordinary wire and bend the first copy according to this template.
At the end of the creation of the tubes of the required configuration, they take up the construction of vertical supports. On certain modifications of the boats there is a special fittings for mounting the frame. With this option, the task is greatly simplified. Alas, some modifications are not equipped with similar devices. Therefore, you will need to buy and install them on your own.
All nodes fixing the skeleton are carried out on bolts. The diameter is selected in relation to the thickness of the tubes. If you use an option with a diameter of not more than 25 millimeters, then bolts with a diameter of 6.0 millimeters are useful, and if the tube is thicker, it is preferable to put in use bolts with a diameter of 8.0 millimeters. The use of locknuts is mandatory in order to prevent spontaneous loosening of the nuts. There are other methods to prevent loosening of bolted joints.
During installation, close attention must be paid to the location of the mounting sections. They should be located at a certain distance from the cylinders of the PVC boat. This will prevent them from being damaged during use of the swimming facility. Besides, all cuts and cuts of aluminum tubes must be carefully processed so that there are no burrs left.
All areas of fixation of the supporting structure should not be in contact with the PVC components of the inflatable boat in order to exclude the occurrence of extraordinary circumstances associated with damage to the rubber elements of the PVC boat, which can trigger an emergency on the water.
How to sew a tent?
The point of departure in the production of any canopy begins with a precise measurement of the inflated swimming means, transferring its dimensions and developing the project on paper, taking into account the scale. When planning a canopy sample, it is required to take into account the possibility of using oars. The procedure for manufacturing various varieties of awnings differs only in individual features and can be used not only with regard to the parking canopy, but can also be applied to the other types (transportation, suspension, bow, parking awning) used on PVC motor boats. For example, these differences are peculiar:
- for running canopy, which when creating with your own hands, needs to be installed on a swimming means of a supporting structure;
- for nasal canopy, which in the manufacture requires the use of transparent materials - polyvinyl chloride, lavsan, dense cellophane, which can be used as windows.
The creation procedure consists of the following steps.
- Creation of drawings and patterns. For this purpose, dense cellophane, unnecessary pieces of matter or another type of material can be used. Utility of the future canopy depends on the correctness of the patterns made. This will make it possible to calculate all the probable errors. Unnecessary matter can be sewn, tried on, corrected. When the preliminary version of the canopy is prepared, you can begin to cut the shelter. An allowance must be made for any curtain part. In the process of cutting, you should be extremely careful and not forget about the need to leave allowances along the edge to create a through sleeve, where a rope or cord made of rubber will be pushed. They will be needed to tighten the entire structure. Then, the edges of the canopy must be bent and glued with an auxiliary layer of material or stitched, twisting the fabric by 2 centimeters.
- Sketch Sketch Transfer on a water-repellent mother.
- Cutting and stitching canopy components. Crosslinking areas need to be reinforced with an additional layer of material. Sewing itself can be performed both manually and on a sewing machine. In parallel with this, work is underway to attach accessories, pockets, and specialized patches to the awning. After sewing is completed, the canopy should be installed on the supporting structure and left in this position until morning.
- In order to fix the canopy by the eye-ring, eyelets are attached to the sleeves. It is desirable to strengthen the areas of their mounting with an additional layer of matter.
- A piece of rubber lace 1 meter in size is screwed onto a nylon cord with artificial thread, after this, the joint is coated with polyurethane adhesive. The rope made is drawn through the canopy sleeve. A rubber shock absorber is required to securely tighten the tent on the body of the craft.
- For fixing the canopy along the contour boats are comfortable to use carabiners that are fixed to the accessories of the boat. Another method may be used - the accessories in the form of fungi are glued to the boat, for which the canopy hinges are hooked. These loops can be made from belts and used instead of a rubber-rope tow.
A canopy for a homemade PVC boat is not only a savings, but also a more creative approach to the product, which can be done taking into account the unique design of the swimming facility. For example, a self-made PVC canopy on a boat can have anchor pockets or a life buoy in the structure.
Pockets can also be used inside the canopy to contain all kinds of objects.
See how to make an awning on a boat with your own hands.